Devney Hamilton on Sassafras Tech Collective
Sassafras encourages people of color and/or with disabilities and/or trans or gender-non-conforming, or otherwise targeted with oppression in tech to contact them at email@example.com.
Ways to stay in touch with Sassafras:
- Design Action Collective
- Loomio, a software product co-op.
- Allied Media Conference
- INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence
- Atomic Object, a Midwest software consultancy, employee-owned B corporation
Places to learn about co-op work opportunities:
Co-ops that support Sassafras' work:
- AORTA, Anti-Oppression Resource and Training Alliance
- Open Bookkeeping
- Key Figures
- Design Justice Network
Organizations that help fund cooperatives:
Organizations that provide resources for starting coops:
Books and reading recommended:
- Prefigurative Design as a Method for Research Justice, research paper by Mariam Asad
- Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice, book by Dr. Jessica Gordon Nembhard, PhD
- Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds, book by adrienne maree brown
Recorded in February 2021.Devney: We would not be here without each other. We make each other’s livelihoods possible and each other’s growth possible.